Director of Elementary Education
The director of elementary education will report directly to the superintendent with the specific assignment and responsibility of planning, organizing, and evaluating and executing the elementary education program.
- Provide leadership and coordination of the activities of elementary school principals and all other personnel whose efforts primarily and directly affect the elementary pupil services and instructional programs of the district.
- Develop and coordinate all assigned state and federal programs involving the elementary education program.
- Organize and assist staff committees in the development and revision of curriculum, direct and assist elementary staff personnel in the appraisal of and recommendation for the study and adoption of elementary textbooks and other instructional materials and for the development of instructional guides and handbooks.
- Evaluate elementary school principals and assist in the evaluation of elementary teachers and special personnel at the elementary school level. Reading consultants, elementary coordinators, department chairs or supervisors of media, art, music, PE, guidance, talented and gifted coordinator, and district technology coordinator are responsible to the director of elementary education when these personnel are functioning at the elementary school level.
- Organize and direct staff activities concerned with research and development of the elementary school program.
- Coordinate and supervise all elementary pupil services and other programs to ensure that these programs and services will become an integral part of the total program.
- Coordinate and assist in the development of plans and the execution of plans for the continuous evaluation of the effectiveness of the total elementary education program.
- Serve as central office administrative contact on all questions concerning the administration and supervision of the elementary education program.
- Provide leadership and assistance in the development of all policy affecting the administration and/or supervision of the elementary schools.
- Work with the director of human resources in the recruitment and screening of new staff members. The director of elementary education will approve the selection and assignment of all elementary instructional and support personnel, administrative personnel and paraeducators directly involved with the instructional program.
- Develop and supervise staff development programs for the improvement of elementary instructional services.
- Plan, direct and delegate responsibility for the elementary summer school program.
- Make recommendations to the superintendent concerning elementary school programs, teaching positions, teacher loads, number and size of class sections, changes in instructional organizations and attendance areas.
- Plan with principals and staff members, including teachers, all aspects of elementary school building and remodeling projects.
- Develop and control the instructional, capital outlay and building maintenance portions of the budget which are related to the elementary school program.
- Approve all requisitions originating in and for elementary buildings, including work orders which require expenditures which have not been budgeted.
- Be responsible for compliance with State standards as they are applicable to the elementary schools.
- Maintain membership and active participation in various civic and professional associations and committees.
- Assist in a positive public relations program pertinent to the creation and continuation of a good public image.
- Maintain liaison and active participation with educational leaders in elementary education at state, regional and national levels.
- Work with the director of secondary education in the coordination and articulation of the K-12 curriculum programs.
- Serve as a Level I investigator to investigate complaints regarding abuse of elementary students by school employees and volunteers.
- Maintain responsibility for directing all elementary special education programs.
- Coordinate district health services.
- Supervise and coordinate the District Preschool Program in conjunction with community preschool providers.
- To perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Superintendent of Schools.
Date of Adoption
January 10, 1972
Date of Revision
January 10, 1983
December 11, 1989
October 14, 1996
October 14, 2002
January 8, 2007
December 12, 2011