Hello. My name is Heidi Guse and I am the counselor here at North Cedar. I am very excited to work with your child this year. I will visit each classroom for 30 minutes once every 6-day cycle. Below is more information about my role here at school. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 319-553-2824.
Counselor’s Role at School
What does the elementary counselor do?
- Conducts classroom counselor lessons
- Works with children in small groups
- Sees children individually
- Works with parents and teachers
- Acts as a liaison with outside agencies
- Uses the community as a resource
Who does the elementary counselor help? The counselor helps children...
- Recognize their strengths and needs to achieve in school
- Build self-confidence and self-esteem
- Learn decision making and problem solving skills
- Establish and maintain healthy relationships with others
- Deal with concerns and feelings
- Better understand themselves and others
- Gain valuable social skills
- Develop and learn to cope with situations that arise within the family
What are some of the topics covered by the counselor?
- Personal Safety
- Problem Solving
- Study Skills
- Life Changes
- Cooperation & Friendship
- Drug Awareness
- Social Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Group Skills