Cedar Falls Community School District 2017-18 Board of Education Goals
Goal 1 Student Achievement: The Board will focus on student achievement and undertake a culture of learning and participate in the following:
- Learn, discuss and gain a deeper understanding of the CAPS program
- Start a process to create and utilize benchmarks with other high achieving Districts across the MidwestExplore what benchmarks/metrics to utilize
- Visit 6 high achieving District, of which, at least 3 will be outside the state of Iowa.
- Update and approve a new 5 year technology plan, focusing the District's work on further implementation, student learning and enhancing our technology system.Discuss best practice and learn about student grading, magnet schools, project based learning, etc., following IASB Annual Conference and throughout the year.
Goal 2 Culture/Climate: The Board will "model learning" and enhance support and expansion of a positive climate and culture across our District:
- Participate in a book study centered on gradingParticipate in a joint meeting with the Cedar Falls City Council and CFU Board of DirectorsParticipate in an episode of Parent University or Currents UpCiose to discuss roles, responsibilities and decision making processes of a School Board Member.
Goal 3 PLC: The Board will continue to build and support awareness of the PLC process and enhance its engagement and visibility at the building level and at PTO/PTA meetings:
- Attend PTO/PTA meetings to discuss, provide information and gather feedbackVisit buildings during the regular school day, PLC time and staff training to see work that is ongoing throughout our District
The mission of the Cedar Falls Community Schools is educating each student to be a lifelong learner and a caring, responsible citizen. The schools shall provide a comprehensive curriculum which reflects the essential and delicate balance of excellence and equity, together with meaningful instructional programs based upon realistic standards.
Students shall be provided both the opportunity and the expectation through a sequentially coordinated guaranteed and viable curriculum, to acquire those skills, attitudes and personal values which contribute to their functioning as lifelong learners, responsible individuals and group members. Therefore, emphasis shall remain on the concepts of human worth and dignity, and the ideal that each person shall find his or her role as an effective member of society in a world community of continual change and accelerating complexity.
As graduates from the Cedar Falls Community Schools students will be:
- Competent in essential skills;
- Complex thinkers;
- Effective communicators;
- Skilled utilizers of technology;
- Contributing citizens;
- Lifelong learners; and
- Collaborative workers.