Our #1 Priority is Your Child’s Safety
The Cedar Falls Community School District is committed to providing a safe supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff. We have safety plans in place to prevent, prepare, respond and recover from a crisis and these plans are practiced on a regular basis with students and staff. The plans have been designed with the expertise of staff members, national/state protocols, parents, and community safety experts. If you have concerns about safety in our schools, please talk with the school principal. Together we can find solutions that will help keep all of our children safe.
DO YOUR PART...
- Understand that being alert for ways to prevent a crisis along with being prepared to act during a crisis are life skills for all of us; even though it’s unlikely that we would ever have to use any of the actions that we practice. (See Classroom Drills for additional information and instructions to opt your child out of any safety education and/or drills.)
- Talk to your child about telling an adult right away if anyone talks about hurting others, themselves or obtaining any type of weapon even if they think the person is joking. If you see something – say something!
- Pay attention to district newsletters and messages throughout the school year.
- Keep us updated on how to contact you and give alternate contact information. Please check your PowerSchool account to ensure the District has correct contact information.
- Review the plan for early dismissal of school with your child before the situation arises.
- Ensure that weapons in your home are not accessible to your children and that weapons of any kind (including pocket knives and look-alikes) are never brought to school.
- Consider steps you can take at home regarding emergency preparedness. See the FEMA “Are You Ready” guide for additional information.