FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
Federal Student Aid is responsible for managing the student financial assistance programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. These programs provide grants, loans, and work-study funds to students attending college or career school.
The world of scholarship searching is a big one. There are a few things to be said about searching, identifying, finding and applying for scholarships. Number one is to be careful, you should NEVER pay to apply for a scholarship. There are a lot of great opportunities for students and their families, but there are also a lot of scams, so if it looks questionable, move along. Two, we will consistently post scholarships that we receive in our office on the website. However, don't rely solely on this list, as there are numerous scholarships that we do not list. Continue to do research on your own and utilize the links we post to outside scholarship databases. Three, while local scholarships can be for smaller amounts, realize that you have a much better chance at being selected for them than you may with regional and national scholarships.
Remember, there are thousands, if not millions of scholarships available, take your time on searching for the right ones that you believe fit you best. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask for help!
Specific College-based Scholarships
Iowa Regent Universities
Iowa Private Colleges and Universities
- AIB College of Business
- Allen College
- Briar Cliff University
- Buena Vista University
- Central College
- Clarke University
- Coe College
- Cornell College
- Des Moines University
- Dordt College
- Drake University
- Graceland University
- Grand View University
- Grinnell College
- Iowa Wesleyan College
- Loras College
- Luther College
- Mercy College of Health Sciences
- Morningside College
- Mount Mercy University
- Northwestern College
- Simpson College
- St. Ambrose University
- St. Luke’s College
- University of Dubuque
- Wartburg College
- William Penn University
Scholarship Scam Alert. Don’t get ripped off. Remember, you should NEVER have to pay to apply for a scholarship. There are scam artists out there who prey on students seeking financial aid and scholarships. Here’s a site to help you avoid getting stung: www.finaid.org. Listed below are some recommended, free scholarship databases for you to use.
- www.iowacollegeaid.govIncludes many scholarships that are already listed in the deadlines above and are specific to Iowa students.
- bit.ly/ICANScholarshipsA scholarship database managed by Iowa College Access Network (ICAN) helping Iowa students and families streamline their search for more local and regional scholarships.
- www.scholarships.comIncludes a free college scholarhip search and abundant loan and financial aid info.
- www.scholarships-4u.comAnother excellent online scholarship search. Many possibilities can be researched at this site.
- www.fastweb.comA free service with access to information on scholarships, internships, grants, and loans.
- www.collegeboard.com/payThis College Board site offers a scholarship search, plus planning and SAT info.
- www.wiredscholar.comOffers college planning resources, as well as an online scholarship database.
- www.collegeNET.comAnother online scholarship search.
- www.schoolsoup.comContains the most comprehensive database available.
- www.danceU101.comFor those students who are interested in a dance experience while in college.