Non-Construction Purchasing Procedures
The Cedar Falls Community School District supports Iowa economic development. Purchases by the district will be made in Iowa for Iowa goods and services from locally-owned businesses, located within the school district or from an Iowa-based company, which offer these goods or services if the cost and other considerations are relatively equal and they meet the required specifications.
The school board and superintendent support women-and-minority owned targeted small businesses that offer goods or services, if the cost and other considerations are relatively equal and they meet the required specifications.
It shall be the responsibility of the superintendent or designee to approve purchases, except those authorized by or requiring direct board action. The superintendent may coordinate and combine purchases with other governmental bodies to take advantage of volume price breaks. Joint purchases with other political subdivisions will be considered when in the opinion of the superintendent it is prudent to do so.
The superintendent shall have the authority to authorize purchases without competitive quotes for goods and services costing under $25,000, and for good and services costing between $25,000 and $50,000 with a minimum of (2) two quotations obtained by the business office using the general guidelines for quoting below, without prior Board approval. For goods and services, except for exempt items listed below, costing more than $50,000, bids shall be taken to the board for approval. The Board of Education authorizes the Board Secretary, or designee, the duty of receiving and opening bids and announcing the results. Bid results, costing more than $50,000, shall be reported to the Board of Directors.
General Guidelines for Quoting:
- The individual making the requisition will submit to the Business Office detailed specifications of the item or detailed scope of work required and the names of possible vendors.
- The Business Office will develop the final quote specifications.
- Quotes shall require at a minimum the following information:
- Written and signed by person quoting on the form provided by the district.
- Established time and date quote is due.
- An attempt should be made to submit quotes to a minimum of two vendors.
Goods and services exempt from quotes:
- The final price is established by published tariff rates of a public regulating body
- District purchases from another governmental agency or purchasing contract
- The items are copyrighted (e.g. books, software, videos)
- There is no end (dues, travel expenses, etc.)
- Proprietary items (These are items exclusive with one manufacturer. We may still receive a quote if multiple vendors exist.)
- Emergency purchases (e.g. fuel, transmissions.)
- Professional services (e.g. auditor, attorney, architect, consultants.)
Purchases will be made from the lowest responsible bidder based upon total cost considerations including, but not limited to, the cost of goods and services being purchased, availability of service and/or repair, delivery date, and other factors deemed relevant by the board.
Any request for a quote form by a vendor shall be granted unless the vendor has been disqualified for some reason. Anyone may receive a formal quote that has been mailed to prospective vendors.
If there is an apparent mistake in the quotes, the Business Office will call and confirm prices. If error exists, the item or total quoted, if awards are so made, shall be withdrawn.
The board and the superintendent shall have the right to reject any or all quotes, or any part there of and to re- advertise. The board will enter into such contract or contracts as the board deems in the best interests of the school district.Download PDF
Date of Adoption
May 12, 2003
Date of Revision
November 13, 2006
July 19, 2010
January 23, 2012
June 10, 2013